Building the Future with IBM and Charles Sturt University in Bathurst
IBM, Charles Sturt University, and the NSW Government have announced a multi-year partnership to create a new IBM Client Innovation Centre (CIC), with its regional hub based in Bathurst. Students at Charles Sturt University will be offered the opportunity to participate in meaningful industry work experience at the CIC, designed to fast-track the student’s post-study employment opportunities. Such an investment has the potential to replicate the success of the Ballarat Regional Delivery Centre, which opened 25 years ago and now employs around 500 people.
The roles created by IBM and the study opportunities to be delivered by Charles Sturt University will not only help to diversify the Central West workforce but will help create greater employment opportunities for young individuals who would otherwise have had to relocate to metropolitan areas to find similar employment opportunities. Over the past 10 years, employment in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services industries across the Bathurst Region has increased by 50%. The IBM CIC presents vast opportunities to continue this trend to the benefit of not just Bathurst but the Central West. The venture will create 50 jobs initially, growing to around 300 jobs as the venture matures.
Bathurst’s development as a Smart Community of national significance and as an Emerging Innovation Centre will be greatly enhanced through the presence of IBM. IBM will complement the work of NSW Spatial Services and the Cyber Security Vulnerability Management Centre, as well as the emerging entrepreneurial ecosystem, led by the Bathurst Upstairs Start-up Hub.
The specialised positions created by IBM will also help attract new residents to the Central West and increase the highly skilled labour force available in the regions.
IBM's Vision for the Future in Regional NSW
IBM's vision to 2024...
- Create 250-300 new jobs in Regional NSW over 2022-2024 based on a new source of smart workers.
- Create a Client Innovation Centre (CIC) with Charles Sturt University. Experienced IBM-ers plus Student Interns who earn while they learn.
- Start with a pilot of 20 interns in July 2022.
- Bring diversity across indigenous, gender, LGBTQI and neuro dimensions.
- Graduates in-tune with your business and ready to work the day after graduation
The dream beyond is to develop assets and ventures together that attract further investment to Regional NSW like:
- A Technology Hub delivering AI, IoT and Cloud solutions to key industries. First for NSW, then the world.
- Ventures to outsource business processes in Regional NSW via a hub and spoke model.
Want to hear more about how your business can get involved? Contact us.